Masaya Dobermans

>

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Working Puppies

Porsche worked her 3rd track today. Yesterdays track was shorter than originally planned. It was basically a scent pad and about 15-20 paces which started to go in a circle. Unfortunately, I had Porsche tied to a down tree as we were in the field across the creek and behind my house. Porsche broke her collar and started working her track before I finished laying it. I let her go ahead and find the food without a leash on. She was very good about finding each piece of food in the footsteps.

Tonight I laid Cinders track first then laid a scent pad then about a 20 foot arch into another scent pad with a jackpot of food. My intent was to make a circle, but I have never been good at circles. Again I just followed behind her and stoked her calmly when she was eating a piece of food. I had turkey in each foot step and allowed her to wander off track and discover on her own that there wasn't any food there. She has a very deep nose and is more intent than ever remembered Cinders being at that age. Considering how good Cinders tracks now, I am VERY please with Porsche. She also seems to take her time on the track. Hopefully we can keep it that way.

The Rain Report from Gail:

"Well, she is stubborn, some what will full, one of the smartest puppies I have ever owned and really really sweet, and gives great Dober kisses! If that isn't a combination I don't know what is.

When she wants something there is no mistaking it. LOL She lets you know in no uncertain terms about what SHE wants.

However on the other hand, she learned sit in 2 very short sessions and will now sit even out side with distractions. We are now working on come. I just started that one today. She is also very good now about walking on leash. I haven't taken her out on the sidewalks yet, traffic here is hellish and I'm not risking it until she is a tiny bit better about heeling on a loose lead.

She is a great fetch player and loves her Kong Wubba toy. She would play fetch for hours if I had the arm to keep throwing the wubba.

My next step with her will be to take the second Wubba toy and put it in my cadaver box to scent the toy, then we will play hunt the Wubba toy to teach her to go look for the scent.

We're going to be at Atterbury all next weekend so she'll get introduced to some of the agility equipment, some "baby" rubble and probably helicopters since they should be flying next weekend. I think she will enjoy that a lot."

-Gail

Tessa Report-
Tessa's ears are doing really well. Tessa is being a little ornery right now and has been biting a lot. Other than that she is doing really well on her house training and obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment