Masaya Dobermans

>

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Porsche Starts Working

I took Porsche with me to train yesterday. First I laid Cinders bigger track then I laid a 2x2 scent pad then a 6 foot track followed by another 2x2 scent pad. There were lots of treats and of course treats in each foot step. When starting a young pup on tracking its important not to put any pressure on the pup. The idea is that she learns that when she is on the track she finds food and there is nothing outside of the track. The pup learns that on their own and at this age you do not guide or direct or influence the the dog in any way. Once the pup lost interest, I took her off the track and put her in her crates. Then I got Cinders out to work with her.
After I finished working Cinders, I got Porsche out of the car and took her on a walk in the woods. I took her up hills, over logs and across a creek. She stayed with me the whole time and was unfazed by the different terrains. I gave her a treat anytime she happened to be in heel position. I forgot my clicker or I would have clicked and treated anytime she was in heel. I trained Cinders this way when she was very young. Its a good way to teach heel position in a very positive way. I then tied a small branch to the end of her leash and ran away and called her. Dragging the leash simulated a puppy runaway and also provided some noise through the crunchy leaves.
Overall it was a nice lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment