Masaya Dobermans

>

Friday, January 2, 2009

Puppies Arrive!


Puppies were born Tuesday the 30th. It was a chaotic day as I had thought it was safe to go to work that morning for a few hours. I kept in close contact with my mom at home. I anticipated Cinders having the pups that night. She had been nesting the night before and I had stayed in the whelping box with her all night. However, a couple hours before dawn she had stopped and went to sleep. I got up and took care of the other dogs and fed them. She ate and was acting a little funny, but I didn't see the immediacy. Besides I knew my mom was there and would keep me posted of any changes. Mom called me at noon and said that Cinders had a puppy beside my bed on my quilt (in anticipation of this possibility I had been using an old quilt). I raced home (30 min) while talking to mom on the phone. The first puppy was a boy (black collar)! Before I got home Cinders had another puppy (burgundy). The girls had started to arrive. I got home and moved everyone to the whelping box including the quilt. About 10 minutes later with very little effort we had another girl (pink).

Not long after that, Cinders started pushing and she kept pushing. After she had been pushing for over an hour, I became concerned and consulted some long time breeder friends and then called the vet. We decided we needed to get Cinders to the vet ASAP. I had used a glove and checked her and could not feel the puppy being presented and so we were concerned it might be stuck at the "gate". Poor mom, I made her drive while I sat in back of the Rav with Cinders and the pups in a basket. The vet is about 30 minutes away and I swear , I believe my mom was going 80. It certainly felt like that as she was entering Louisville and going around some mondo corners. About 10 min from the vet I was finally able to see a puppy presented. With some maneuvering from both me and cinders I was able to pull the pup (rear first) out. I was really scared because the pup seemed huge. It was backward and the first sign I had of her was her rear where the sac was already broken and there was manure. I hurried up pulled her out and removed the sac from her face and rubbed her did some other things to make sure she was breathing well. I kept thinking when I pulled her out she had to be dead because I think her sac had been broken for a little bit. But she started to breath and kick and she hasn't stopped! What a moose! She's a little terror and pushes everyone around. She is already nice and fat and sassy!

Well we decided not to go the vet and we turned around and went back home. I knew there was one more puppy that had to present itself. Unfortunately, it was taking its time. At about 6pm, we took Cinders back to the vet. In the end she had to have a C-sec to get the last pup out.

Everyone is home and doing well now. Cinders is a very protective mommy and she gets very upset when I hold the pups. She hates it when I weigh them. She always tries to take them from me. She will barely leave the whelping box to get a drink or go relieve herself. I have been feeding her in the box. Gotta keep the milk coming! Surprisingly, she still let Lily come in the room to sleep on the bed. However, Lily keeps her head down and hugs the wall by the door and Cinders monitors her movements very closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment